The Hunger Games
Hey, you haven't had a chance to get in the games yet! Register here and jump in!
The Hunger Games
Hey, you haven't had a chance to get in the games yet! Register here and jump in!
The Hunger Games
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hunger Games

Welcome to Panem! We are a role playing forum that is starting from the first games.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chii's 100 Book Challenge!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chiiyoko
Super Purple Buddy
Super Purple Buddy
Chiiyoko

Female Posts : 1474
Birthday : 1996-06-18

Character sheet
Hitpoints:
Chii's 100 Book Challenge! Left_bar_bleue150/150Chii's 100 Book Challenge! Empty_bar_bleue  (150/150)
Character Name::
Alliance::

Chii's 100 Book Challenge! Empty
PostSubject: Chii's 100 Book Challenge!   Chii's 100 Book Challenge! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 1:07 am

Chii's 100 Book Challenge! Create.php?text=Chii%27s%20100%20Book%20Challenge%21&name=Mutlu__Ornamental
Chii's 100 Book Challenge! Tumblr_mfyletIQpJ1r8eepuo1_500
Read a hundred books in 365 days. THE 100 BOOKS CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. I DARE you book lovers out there to do the same as well and let's see who gets closests to 100 or reaches 100 by the end of 365 days!
(WARNING: Spoiler Alert in some reviews and synopsis!)

TIME LIMIT : Tick tock. This is a clock. *bad THG pun* 1st Jan 2014

AAAAAAAND

BOOK 1 (4/5)
Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts

BOOK 2 (4.5/5)
Rage Within by Jeyn Roberts

Since the beginning of mankind, civilizations have fallen: the Romans, the Greeks, the Aztecs...and now us. Huge earthquakes rock the world. Cities are destroyed. But something even more awful is happening: An ancient evil has been unleashed, and it's turning everyday people into hunters, killers, and crazies. This is the world Mason, Aries, Clementine, and Michael are living in--or rather, trying to survive. Each is fleeing unspeakable horror, from murderous chaos to brutal natural disasters, and each is traveling the same road in a world gone mad. Amid the throes of the apocalypse and clinging to love and meaning wherever it can be found, these four teens are on a journey into the heart of darkness--and to find each other and a place of safety.

"Trust no one. Not even yourself."

REVIEW
The whole concept of it caught my eye and I realised that it wasn't just a normal apocalypse, it was something eating the humanity out of people from within. And I know it's a good book when I literally can't put it down! It kept the suspense and tension throughout the book, keeping the reader wanting for more; to find out what happens next; while this was happening to someone else. It was fast paced and exciting and I give my applause to this series! At first it was hard to keep up with so many different point of views, I always get lost in the midst of what's happening, but in a sense, it kept my brain active, making sure I wasn't just blindly reading as the style of writing changes along with the protagonist. It's interesting to peer into the eyes of so many different survivors and somehow, it gives a sense that there isn't only this particular thing happening at one time. When so many things happen as the clock ticks on, you get a feel of how the world is moving even in such a tragedy. If you like suspense, thriller, and of course some action and an apocalyptic world , Dark inside is an outstanding book and I look forward to the last of this trilogy!

We all have that darkness inside of us. You and I all know it.

BOOK 3 (3.5/5)
Matched by Ally Condie

BOOK 4 (3.9/5)
Crossed by Ally Condie

In the Society, Officials decide. Who you love. Where you work. When you die.
Cassia has always trusted their choices. It’s hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one… until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she’s known and a path no one else has ever dared follow — between perfection and passion.

“Once you want something, everything changes."

REVIEW
I took a chance at this series since I've heard great stuff about this, but being exposed to too much action got me a little disappointed, even though I shouldn't even be expecting much of that here. Razz Matched felt a little slow paced for me but thus it is able to clearly explain how this world works. It gives me a clear idea of how this dystopia is like. I'm not much of a fan of love triangles as I always have that feeling of "God just choose already." But in this case, it seemed to me that Cassia was decisive of what she wanted, and the Matched trilogy managed to pull a few of my heart strings. I almost raged quit in a good way with the scene with Cassia's grandfather 'cause I didn't want to read what happened next. Razz The Hundred of everything (Poems, books, songs, pictures, etc.) made me think twice about the millions we have right now; it's quite amazing actually. I didn't quite like the pace of Matched but since I had Crossed in my hands I thought that I'd just give it a go, no harm there either. Crossed came to me as a big surprise, the whole situation changed drastically and it managed to hook me in quite quickly. The point of view of Ky was extremely interesting to me because in Matched, Ky was just a mystery; no one know what goes through his head, thus I never really liked Ky in Matched. (Xander fan here!) In Crossed, I began to understand Ky a little more and things got more exciting! As with the words of many others, Matched trilogy is indeed a great series; looking from the first two books and I'm looking forward to hunting for Reached!

The Society has yet to conquer something; for our thoughts are of our own.

BOOK 5 (4.9/5)
Divergent by Veronica Roth

BOOK 6 (4.7/5)
Insurgent by Veronica Roth

BOOK 7 (4.8/5)
The World of Veronica Roth's Divergent Series by Veronica Roth

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

REVIEW
Gosh. What can I say? Divergent left me speechless and I'm so glad that a good friend of mind dragged me into this. It's amazing. I mean, if I actually went all the way out to buy the books, it has to be good. Razz And I'm thankful that I took the chance at it! (It's impossible to get it in the library! D:) At the beginning of the book, I got confused, (as usual. but.) it took awhile to understand everything that was going on but as you progress deeper into the book, everything clicked like a complete jigsaw puzzle. AND THEN, stuff gets complicated and shit hits the fan Razz . I love how Divergent managed to creep me out a little at Tris' first simulation.. and probably the next subsequent few. (I'll never look at Crows the same way ever again ;_Wink The only real pet peeves that I had were two, which one that I quickly got over. The writing was in present tense which I was totally not used to, (damn you Singapore English syllabus!) but soon, it didn't matter. The story kidnapped all of my attention. The next pet peeve I have (SPOILER) would be uh, how exactly did Four and Tris fall in love? That first kiss just had me paused for a while there and go da fudge? I guess it's like a little sudden for me; but I'd go with it since it got better after that. Very Happy The initiation of Dauntless was heart pumping, and it got me wanting for more from them. I'm starting to be a sucker of action in books and so, the 'badassness' of Divergent kept me reading on and on. Insurgent just brought it a notch higher with even more intensed moments and I love how it just builds on top of another! The Divergent Trilogy had me sobbing every now and then and Kudos to Veronica Roth! The way she thought out for this dystopia is awesome. The small little booklet called the world of Veronica Roth's Divergent seried just brought me a little closer to the factions and it's definitely one of those books when you finish it, it's like a piece- or chunk of you is gone and you just go "wow." Reading it twice with a fan made divergent sound tracks called Factionless is aweseome! xD Highly Reccomended for those dystopian YA book lovers out there!

And I'm silently sitting in front of my lappy, just stalking google, thinking, "You better not screw up the actors for Divergent, Summit. I'm watching you." Razz

Fear doesn't shut you down, it wakes you up. I've seen it. It's fascinating.

BOOK 8 (4/5)
Ranger's Apprentice #1 The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan

They have always scared him in the past — the Rangers, with their dark cloaksand shadowy ways. The villagers believe the Rangers practice magic that makes them invisible to ordinary people. And now 15-year-old Will, always small for his age, has been chosen as a Ranger's apprentice. What he doesn't yet realize is that the Rangers are the protectors of the kingdom. Highly trained in the skills of battle and surveillance, they fight the battles before the battles reach the people. And as Will is about to learn, there is a large battle brewing. The exiled Morgarath, Lord of the Mountains of Rain and Night, is gathering his forces for an attack on the kingdom. This time, he will not be denied...

“An ordinary archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong.”

REVIEW
Frankly speaking, this was certainly a pleasant surprise there ladies and gentleworms! Being honest, I was looking into how to write for fight scenes, bows and arrows, and stuff since I find myself always stuck with nothing much to write there. (Having a roleplay character using bows and arrows I needed some inspiration and reference yes? Very Happy yes.) I wasn't expecting much out of this book but it blew me away. It was just there on the shelf and I just dived into it, not really knowing what I got myself into but boy I'm glad I did! Thank you lack of writing skill for fights! As usual, I got confused with its fancy termilogy and such and till today I still am Razz. That's what I get for unconsciously skipping over the whole explaination of the history and politics of the story Razz boo me. but it's a long series, I'll get into it soon Razz. I NEVER expected this book to make me feel.. feels; so much feels . Razz I was never the kind to be really into a lot of fantasy books but this totally changed my perspective of the genre. The pace of the story was great in a sense that it wasn't exactly heart pumping fast, but it wasn't too slow to make my eyes skip a few words (or sentences). It came off as just nice and following Will on his life was definitely a nice experience. (SPOILER) Will being the not so strong among the rest and that amount of helplessness at the beginning kinda made me sympathize with him; the feeling of rejection, dejection, and then, acceptance. Along with a dash of sarcasm that I always love. Razz Like I said it made me feel feels. Razz and you never really know what's gonna happen next! I guess it really is nice to get out of my comfort zone and try something new once in a while, cause you never know, that random book you picked out might just bring you on a rolle coaster ride. On to book 2!

I've forgotten how much fun having an apprentice would be.

BOOK 9
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Tally Youngblood is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait for the operation that turns everyone from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to party. But new friend Shay would rather hoverboard to "the Smoke" and be free. Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The "Special Circumstances" authority Dr Cable offers Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

“Perhaps the logical conclusion of everyone looking the same is everyone thinking the same.”

READING IN PROGRESS~! *dances along*
Back to top Go down

Chii's 100 Book Challenge!
Page 1 of 1