The Hunger Games
Hey, you haven't had a chance to get in the games yet! Register here and jump in!
The Hunger Games
Hey, you haven't had a chance to get in the games yet! Register here and jump in!
The Hunger Games
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hunger Games

Welcome to Panem! We are a role playing forum that is starting from the first games.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Happy First Anniversary

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chiiyoko
Super Purple Buddy
Super Purple Buddy
Chiiyoko

Female Posts : 1474
Birthday : 1996-06-18

Character sheet
Hitpoints:
Happy First Anniversary Left_bar_bleue150/150Happy First Anniversary Empty_bar_bleue  (150/150)
Character Name::
Alliance::

Happy First Anniversary Empty
PostSubject: Happy First Anniversary   Happy First Anniversary Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 4:02 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Derald sat in a corner of the barn with his arms resting on his propped up knees. It's been a while since he came here, never really having the will to come and check if it was empty. Lately there'd be a couple of parties, some people's training hideouts. But today he came up here before the break of dawn, the sun barely rising yet. It was still dark outside with one light hanging down from the barn. And this time, he was really alone, no horses, no dogs, just him. And a couple of knives. He picked up one from the bunch and played with it, staring blankly at it before gritting his teeth and throwing it across the barn, stabbing into a stack of hay. He was expecting to screw up so much as a mentor for the first time but what made it really really screwed up was that he was so close. He could've saved a life of a Ten-er. He could've. One more sponsor. One more lifeline. One more anything. Another knife zipped into the hay as he just casually sat there. The knives just continued to be flung out by different hands. Guess it's happy first anniversary to him right? And many more years to come.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy First Anniversary   Happy First Anniversary Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Having found herself unable to sleep anyway, Annie was taking a walk around the district, exploring the places everyone else seemed to know about already but that she had never seen. She'd found some little hidden nooks and hideouts and flower bushes where you wouldn't expect there to be flower bushes, but nothing as exciting as what she saw when she turned the corner. Annie couldn't help but smile as her gaze fell on a large, seemingly abandoned barn blocking her path. "Hello?" she called softly, walking forward and gingerly placing a hand on one of the old wooden walls. She didn't hear any response, but she thought she heard some muffled thudding noises coming from inside. Annie hurried along the wall until she found an entrance and peered in. "Anyone there?" she asked, slightly louder this time. She was pretty sure she could see a figure throwing stuff across the barn, but wasn't sure who they were in the dim light. Annie realized they were throwing knives, and looked kind of upset. "Hey... are you okay?" She took a few steps closer, and suddenly recognized the guy. "Oh, hey, it's horse boy!" she teased, a smile instantly lighting up her face when she saw him. "Is... uh... is something wrong? Because I totally could have come in a different door and gotten impaled, with our track record."

Last edited by Rainy Pie on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chiiyoko
Super Purple Buddy
Super Purple Buddy
Chiiyoko

Character sheet
Hitpoints:
Happy First Anniversary Left_bar_bleue150/150Happy First Anniversary Empty_bar_bleue  (150/150)

PostSubject: Re: Happy First Anniversary   Happy First Anniversary Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 5:35 pm

Derald never really heard any voices as the knives continued its course. He jumped when he heard a girl and he let go of the knife in mid swing, flying halfway before clanking to the ground. Who in hell would be up and about at this time of the day? When the girl stepped closer under the light, he broke into laughter as he heard her voice clearly this time, "Heya, it's corgi girl. Long time no see!" He pushed the knives aside and shifted to make space in the sad corner for Annie to sit. It's been awhile since they met up, considering that he disappeared to the Capitol for about a month or two. "What in tarnation are you doin' here at like.. 5 in the mornin'?" He smiled and rolled his eyes, "Well that's a shame, I reckon that yer name ain't on my to-hurt list today. Maybe try again tomorrow?" He looked down at the knives and picked one up to examine it. "And yeah.. Um, yeah, I'm fine." He grinned and nodded his head at first but then he remembered who he was talking to. Derald's nods slowly switched to shakes, grin still staying on, "No, I'm not." Who was he kidding? "It's all my fault he's dead. Could've just done a lil' something more y'know?" For a second he almost forgot about what she knew and didn't knew and he felt horrible always going off like this every time they meet. But somehow it seems like it's his only chance.

Last edited by Chiiyoko on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy First Anniversary   Happy First Anniversary Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Annie laughed at his nickname for her, dipping her head and twirling her hand in a little mock bow. "At your service." She sat down next to him in the space he'd made and shrugged at his question. "Couldn't sleep." She smiled when she said her name wasn't on his list of people to hurt. "I knew it wasn't an accident," she teased him, looking at the knives on his shoulder. She wondered what at occasion he'd had to learn to use them. She felt a sense of relief at his denial of being upset and his grin, but didn't really believe him. Her suspicions were confirmed almost momentarily, as he shook his head and mentioned something about someone's death being his fault. Annie pursed her lips. She wasn't sure what context this made sense in, but she guessed it might have something to do with what Derald had been upset with before and why he'd basically disappeared for the past month or two. "Well, um, whatever happened, I'm sure there was nothing you could have done," she began, choosing her words carefully, "but I don't actually know what you mean. If you want some generic words of advice for loss, I can give you that, but if you want to talk about it, like, really talk, I'm here. If you want a distraction, well... again, I'm here if you need be. We can make breakfast or sew little hats for dogs or something." She sighed, and wrapped her arm around his shoulder to give him a quick hug before setting her hands back in her lap. "But as fun as that sounds, my not-so-professional opinion is that you might not want to bury it all inside for too long. Wounds don't stop hurting just because you've hidden them."
Back to top Go down
Chiiyoko
Super Purple Buddy
Super Purple Buddy
Chiiyoko

Character sheet
Hitpoints:

PostSubject: Re: Happy First Anniversary   Happy First Anniversary Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 12:59 am

Derald raised an eyebrow at her reason, "Why can't ya sleep? Seemed like a perfect night to hit the hay sack. Not literally." Annie came over to sit down beside him and Derald chuckled as she went back into her advice giving mode, "I'm sure ya gave enough advices to me already, but they were all really helpful, thanks. How do ya always have time for these kinda things?" He shut up to let her finish though and he felt himself tense up the moment her arm touched his shoulder. Contact was still an unspoken fear in him but he closed his eyes, truly appreciating the comfort as he returned the gesture, putting his arm around her shoulder. He slowly relaxed his shoulders as he sighed and turned his head to look at Annie, "Remember I said that I'd tell ya something the next time we meet?" He never liked people knowing but Derald thinks that he didn't liked telling it to people more. But it was still something she needed to know or he'll feel like he's lying to someone so genuine. "Well," he paused, looking up to the dangling bulb of light before plucking the courage to look back to her, "I took a holiday trip to the arena and back," a pathetic smile came on as he continued, "back in the 35th Games." Derald picked up knife and threw it dead straight into the hay, "And mentorin' for the first time wasn't the easiest, considering I had no idea what I myself was doing in the Games." Derald laughed as he flung his hands up. He didn't want to flood her with his useless crap again, even if she wanted them out. That's how he got by when he was young, it's probably how he'll get by now. Shove them down so deep that it makes forgetting them bearable. But then again, these memories actually come back to haunt every freakin' year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy First Anniversary   Happy First Anniversary Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 3:11 am

As much as she scolded herself for it, Annie initial reaction to Derald's confession was so THAT'S why he looked familiar! She bit her lip and looked down at her hands, fiddling with the edge of her shirt. How does one react to that? she wondered, dumbstruck. Annie took a breath and tried to formulate words, glancing up at Derald. "Uh... that kind of explains some stuff," she said slowly. "I'm sorry." She hated how useless and typical the words sounded. Pity was an emotion carried by random passerby, people ill-equipped for a personal emotional reaction. Annie took a second to organize her thoughts. She'd dealt with petty family situations before, but nothing this heavy. "I know you must get that all the time, I just-" she paused to swallow, having some difficulty expressing or even understanding herself. "I'm really sorry that that happened, I guess. That really, really sucks... but you know that, obviously. Um..." Annie knew she was stammering but didn't really know how to stop. "It's not your fault. It is so, so far from your fault. Honestly, it's freaking impressive you can still smile, or function, even." She hesitated again, feeling like she was finally making some progress with speaking. "To tell you the truth, I can't legitimately empathize with that, but I'll listen and I swear, if you want, I'll give you as much council as I can." She wanted to show that she supported him, but she didn't want to end up saying something that made him feel worse. Annie was surprised it was the mentoring bit that appeared to be bothering him most right now rather than the games themselves, although she figured they kind of came both as a bundle and in waves, one after the other. She couldn't even begin to imagine how painful it must be for him, but she was desperate to help in any way she could.

"I mean, it's an undeniably cruel process. Not only do you have to go through that the first time, but then you have to go and relive it and see others fall on the same path that caused you so much suffering. Of course there's going to be guilt and trauma. But thought it's perfectly natural, it's not fair to yourself to take the blame. You didn't sign up for it, there's no way you could have even been prepared for it. 22 other people died, and that's just these games. Besides, he- he got pretty far, didn't he?" She didn't quite remember every detail from the games, as she usually tried to put it out of her mind, but she vaguely remembered the kid from their district almost making it to the end. "Final four or something, wasn't it? For your first year of mentoring? Hell, you wouldn't be wrong to celebrate... you gave this kid everything you could, knowing you. It's not your fault he's dead, not in the slightest. You're part of the reason he lasted so long. You helped him survive. There was nothing you could do." Annie felt like a broken record, repeating the same tired words of wisdom over and over again. She lowered her head and leaned into Derald's shoulder. She would have reached out further, but he'd seemed slightly uneasy with her hug, so more human contact was maybe not the best idea. "I'm pretty far from the authority on this, though, and I could be totally off, but one thing I can say with utter confidence is that you are not to blame for this kid's death, or any death in any Hunger Games. That honor goes to the lovely Capitol," she scoffed. "You did all you could do, and he probably would have died even sooner without you. Mentoring teenagers on how to survive shouldn't even be your responsibility."

#couldn'tthinkofagoodwaytoendthis #probablyshouldn'thavemadeanadviceycharacterwheni'mnotgoodatgivingadvice #yoloy #justbecausethisendedup2parasdunmeanwehavetokeepitup #1paraisprobseasier #thismightnotbeasshortasoriginallyintendedthough #kindofabigmomentforthem #whoops #dennieforlife #ily
Back to top Go down
Chiiyoko
Super Purple Buddy
Super Purple Buddy
Chiiyoko

Character sheet
Hitpoints:

PostSubject: Re: Happy First Anniversary   Happy First Anniversary Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 7:52 am

Derald looked away as it went silent for a little while. He wondered what's going through her head. "Suprise," he muttered the joke that died off quickly. Now he wondered if he should've said anything at all. When she finally spoke again, he shook his head, "Don't be. I'm sorry that I didn't tell ya any sooner. It was.. nice. To have someone not know who you were." He turned back to stare and smile at her fumble with her words, trying to find a way with them. It was amusing in a way, because all the terrible things inside were numbed out, so he wasn't necessarily feeling like shit. He filled in the blank as she hesitated to continue after mentioning how he could still smile and function. "Well, that's what I do." Derald nods as she talks. He knew that this wasn't something anyone could easily empathise to. But he looked to the ground, thankful to have somehow bumped into her. Because he really doubted anyone would offer to help. He grinned as he lifted up 3 fingers, "Third place." He dropped his hand and shrugged as he replied after taking in what she said, "Even if I didn't sign up for it, even if I ain't prepared, I still hold some responsibility to it, thrown at me or not."

He almost didn't flinch when Annie laid her head on his shoulder. It started to get easier, to know that having her this close won't hurt her at all. Nothing bad has happened yet right? He released the tension in his muscles to accept the kind gesture. But he wasn't too sure what he was suppose to do. He was actually panicking about whether he should just sit there or do something. The fear never really goes away. In the end he just placed his arm back over her shoulder, where they were a couple of minutes ago. He laughed as Annie started pointing fingers at the Capitol, "Sure, the Capitol should go and stand in the corner of shame and think about what they've done.  ..But sometimes you just can't help it. To feel like it's all on you. Yeah it shouldn't be on me, but it is. And the sun still rises and life goes on I guess." He said on a much lighter tone, the weight on his chest lifting away bit by bit. He looked over to her but her head blocked his view of her face, "You're a real sweetheart y'know that? Once again.. Thanks. I mean it." He sat there in silence for a little while, giving time to declutter his thoughts and try and at least reorganise them. He let out a huge sigh and knocked her head a couple times, "Hey, ya hungry? Because breakfast and little dog hats sound like the best thing ever right now."

#it'sjustintwoparascauseit'salittlechunky #anyamountofparaswoo #bigleapoffaithfordennie #ilyt<33
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy First Anniversary   Happy First Anniversary Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 3:59 pm

Annie stayed silent for a while after her rambling, making sure to let Derald have time to formulate a proper response. Despite the grave topic of conversation, she was enjoying just sitting there next to him, with her head on his shoulder and his arm around hers. You're supposed to be the one making him feel better, remember? she scolded herself. Annie nodded when he said life went on. She was relieved he seemed to be taking it pretty well, because she wasn't very confident in her advice in this situation and she was always scared she'd end up making someone feel worse. "Psh, look at that, you don't need my help at all." Annie giggled when he called her a sweetheart. "You're not so bad yourself," she said, poking him lightly on the arm in a playful manner. When he said breakfast sounded good, she let her eyes wander up to a hole in the ceiling where a board had come loose and light was trickling in. "It's the right time for it, anyway. Good thing we got up early... though breakfast food works for all occasions, yeah?" She laughed and got to her feet, pulling him up. "Come on. We can go to my house, but it's kind of... crowded. Also, once everyone woke up, you'd probably get a lot of questions from my parents and a lot of flirting from, like, three of my sisters. Well, my sister and my cousin. Um, if you don't mind, maybe we should go to your house. Besides," she added, grinning, "I want to meet Tess."  
Back to top Go down
Chiiyoko
Super Purple Buddy
Super Purple Buddy
Chiiyoko

Character sheet
Hitpoints:

PostSubject: Re: Happy First Anniversary   Happy First Anniversary Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 4:20 am

Derald shook his head as Annie commented on how he was coping without her help, "Well it would've really different if you didn't come in." He laughed when the compliment was thrown back at him, "Oh really now? I wouldn't hold my breath on that!" He let Annie pull him up to his feet and he went to pick up the knives stuck in the opposition hay stack while Annie discussed about whose house. "Aw, but your family seems charming!" He grinned up to her as he walked back with a hand full of knives, picking up the last one he missed, "But sure, my place is pretty uh.. empty. Tess and my Uncle would probably be at the farm instead so I can't guarantee that you get to meet her." He rolled his eyes at the thought of Tess meeting Annie and all the annoying things she'll be doing. He had to actually look back into when was the last time the kitchen was stocked up because they all rather stay back in the farm than at the fancy place. Occasionally popping by for a more comfortable nap and nothing more. He thought long and hard, staring into space before finally glancing to Annie, "Yeah! We have some stuff we could use in the kitchen. I think." He shrugged it off and started to walking backwards out of the barn, turning off the light, "Let's go shall we? Day's abreakin'."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Happy First Anniversary   Happy First Anniversary Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Happy First Anniversary
Page 1 of 1